June is a month of transitions. Young people graduate high school and college, awaiting new challenges in the fall. Couples start new lives together in this popular month for weddings. Days get longer as spring gives way to summer. School-aged children prepare for some well-deserved time off from school. Did you know June is also Internet Safety Month?
At NCSA, we want to make sure that you and your family do all they can to transition into a safer and more secure summer online. We’re celebrating with two Twitter chats and by encouraging everyone to STOP. THINK. CONNECT.
It all starts with STOP. THINK. CONNECT. Take security precautions, understand the consequences of your actions and behaviors and have a great summer connecting and enjoying the Internet.
Here are some easy ways to stay safer and more secure online. You should know them and share them with your family and friends:
- Keep a Clean Machine: Keep all Internet connected devices free from infection and malware by keeping all critical software—security software, web browsers, apps and operating systems—up to date.
- Protect Your Personal Information: Secure your accounts by making passwords long, strong and unique.
- Connect with Care: Limit the type of business you conduct using unsecure Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Own Your Online Presence: Set security and privacy settings to your comfort level of sharing.
- When in Doubt, Throw it Out: If an email, social network post or text message looks suspicious, even if you know the source, delete it.
- Be Web Wise: Be wary of communications that implore you to act immediately, offer something that sounds too good to be true, or ask for personal information.
- Be a Good Online Citizen: Post only about others what you would have them post about you.
To help you along we are holding two #ChatSTC Twitter Chats this month. The first chat is about online safety tips for the LGBT community in honor of Internet Safety Month and LGBT Pride Month. Our second chat features online safety tips for parents:
LGBT Communities & Online Safety Twitter Chat
Join STOP. THINK. CONNECT., NCSA the LGBT Technology Partnership, Microsoft and other guests as we discuss online safety tips for LGBT communities in honor of Internet Safety Month and LGBT Pride Month.
When: Thursday, June 13 at 3 p.m. ET/noon PT
Guests: LGBT Technology Partnerships (@LGBTTech), STOP. THINK. CONNECT. (@STOPTHNKCONNECT). Microsoft (@Safer_Online)
Online Safety Tips for Parents Twitter Chat
School letting out for summer means more kids will be online and using mobile devices. Join STOP. THINK. CONNECT., ConnectSafely and other guests as we discuss online safety tips for parents in honor of Internet Safety Month and the start of summer.
When: Thursday, June 20 at 3 p.m. ET/noon PT
Guests: ConnectSafely (@ConnectSafely), STOP. THINK. CONNECT. (@STOPTHNKCONNECT), the National Cyber Security Alliance (@StaySafeOnline)
Use the hashtag #ChatSTC to join the conversation! For more information visit: www.stopthinkconnect.org/twitterchats
June also marks our countdown to the 10th annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) in October.
We’ll be unveiling the 2013 portal for National Cyber Security Awareness Month later this month at www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam. We’re marking the 10th anniversary with new logos, web banners, buttons, social media icons and more. There are opportunities for everyone to get involved!
You can also get the latest news and updates about National Cyber Security Awareness Month by liking us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/staysafeonline and following us on Twitter at @StaySafeOnline.