Basic tips for keeping students at this level engaged:
- Make sure your presentation is interactive! This will help younger students stay focused.
- Walk around and assist students when they are working in small groups. This will help them stay on task and work quickly and thoughtfully to complete the scenarios.
- Many students at this age level already use the internet regularly and enjoy sharing what they know. Early in the presentation find out how much experience the students have with computers and give them opportunity to briefly share information. This will maintain interest and help you know what background knowledge students have.
Key concepts for students at this age level to understand and apply to their online experience:
- It is essential that students understand and commit to not sharing personal information with anyone they meet online. This includes their real name, address, phone number, financial information, school name, passphrases or other private information.
- Reinforce that children should talk openly with their parents or guardian about what they see online and should always tell them if anyone asks for personal information or makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Students must commit to follow the family and school rules set up to keep everyone safe while online.