Basic tips for keeping students at this level engaged:
- Make sure your presentation is interactive! This will help younger students stay focused.
- Keep your talk and any instructions relatively short and simple. For many students at this age it is difficult to maintain attention for too long or remember long directions.
- Your main objective at this level is to teach them how to stay safe and reinforce that they should only be online when a parent or guardian are sitting with them.
Key concepts for students at this age level to understand and apply to their online experience:
- It is essential that students understand and commit to not sharing personal information with anyone they meet online.
- Reinforce that children should talk openly with their parents or guardian about what they see online and should always tell them if anyone asks for personal information.
- Students must commit to follow the family and school rules about safety on the Internet and when playing online games.