Now that you’ve identified your data and devices, how do you protect them?
Ultimately, your goal is to build a culture of cybersecurity that includes employees knowing how to protect themselves and the business and understanding the cyber risks as your business grows or adds new technologies or functions.
- Keep security software current: Having the latest security software, web browser and operating system is the best defense against viruses, malware and other online threats.
- Automate Software Updates: Many software programs will automatically connect and update to defend against known risks. Turn on automatic updates if that’s an available option.
- Use strong authentication to protect access to accounts and ensure only those with permission can access them. This also includes enforcing strong passphrases.
- Back up data: Put in place a system – either in the cloud or via separate hard drive storage – that makes electronic copies of the key information on a regular basis.
- Limit access to data or systems only to the employees who require it to perform the core duties of their jobs.
- Keep a clean machine: Your company should have clear rules for what employees can install and keep on their work computers.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Employees should know not to open suspicious links in email, tweets, posts, online ads, messages or attachments – even if they know the source. Employees should also be instructed about your company’s spam filters and how to use them to prevent unwanted, harmful email.
Stay watchful and speak up: Encourage employees to keep an eye out and say something if they notice anything strange on their computer.
Top CyberSecure My Business™ Resources
Download: Small Business Cybersecurity "Quick Wins"
Consider this your guide to small business cybersecurity. It provides steps and tips protecting key devices, accounts, services and data secure.
Watch: Protect Your Small Business Assets Against Cyber Threats in 2019
Understand the cyber threats your business is facing in 2019 and learn about the basic strategies you can implement for better protection.
Watch: Creating a Cyber Aware Employee Culture in Your Business
Your employees are your first and most valuable defense against cyber threats. Learn best practices for creating a cyber aware workforce in your SMB.
Watch: Facebook Account Security for Small Business
Social media is increasingly important for small businesses, so we teamed up with Facebook Security to provide four of our top tips to help protect your business page.
Additional Resources to Put into Action
Federal Inter-Agency Ransomware Guidance
Federal Trade Commission
U.S. Department of Homeland Security